Oasis Community Housing
Oasis Community Housing is a national Christian charity with a mission to reignite a hope and a future for everyone facing homelessness. Through their work, Oasis Community Housing walk with over 2000 individuals on their journey out of homelessness each year in over 17 projects across the country.
Their work addresses both the immediate needs and root causes of homelessness through four key services; Home – 24hr supported accommodation for young men and women facing homelessness, Basis – emergency beds and crisis services for those sleeping rough, Aspire – employment support and financial skills training, and Empower – support for people who have experienced domestic abuse.
Oasis Community Housing has recently joined forces with Clarion Futures and the housing association youth network (HAYN) in order to support the #iwill campaign and engage young people in social action.
They are currently recruiting young people from some of the most deprived areas in the North East, who have faced multiple barriers to accessing opportunities and are disengaged with their local communities, to become Community Ambassadors and lead an awareness raising campaign around the issue of homelessness in their communities.
The young ambassadors will be young people who have previously accessed their services and faced homelessness, and young people who haven’t faced homelessness but are interested in the issue.
Using the stories of those young people who have experienced homelessness, and gathering case studies from across their services, the young ambassadors will be empowered to create powerful communication tools to share these stories across their communities and with the wider public.
This Community Ambassador programme will bring together young people living in the North East to help them engage in social action to;
- Increase understanding and awareness of homelessness (especially homelessness experienced by young people) in our local communities.
- Share the stories of young people who have experienced homelessness in a creative way to raise awareness of the issue, and a better understanding of how our communities can help combat it.
- Create opportunities for young people who have experienced homelessness, or are interested in the issue, to advise and influence policy making and practice of those who have the power to change services.
- Identify the creative assets of young people in our communities and use these assets to create powerful communication tools.
- Increase the skills and confidence of young people from some of the most deprived communities in the North East; giving them a voice, a sense of purpose and worth.
If you would like further information about the project please, contact Christine Carruthers on email@example.com
Oasis Community Housing is a national Christian charity with a mission to reignite a hope and a future for everyone facing homelessness.